Under general supervision, performs routine Central Processing tasks of moderate difficulty. Demonstrates a good knowledge of aseptic and sterile technique. Knowledgeable of reprocessing of instruments and equipment. Has understanding of use and maintenance of sterilizers, washer sterilizer, Sterrad and, Endoscope Reprocessor, (AER) units that are located in the Central Processing area and in the Surgery department.
High School graduate or equivalent.
Current registration as a CRCST preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
Previous Central Processing experience.
Quality & Service:
1. Checks and records daily room temperatures and humidity, reports out of ranges to engineering and the department director, or designated person.
2. Processes all contaminated instruments according to recommended standards.
3. Processes all endoscopes according to standards.
4. Makes rounds of departments, i.e. OB, ER to retrieve instruments/trays to be reprocessed
5. Uses knowledge of sterilization principles to correctly wrap or package items for sterilization
6. Knowledgeable regarding handling and care of instruments, tray preparation, and special procedure items.
7. Performs tray assembly, insuring count list is correct, each package/tray will have a count sheet signed by the employee setting up the instrument set and attached to the outside of the tray.
1. Insures proper operation of autoclave units prior to use on a daily basis, this includes inspection for visible signs of malfunction, if any are found BioMed is notified
2. Runs biological and chemical tests at beginning of day shift. Results recorded in appropriate log.
1. Applies aseptic technique in daily work assignment.
1. Rotates sterile supplies insuring processing dates are oldest to newest.
2. Responsible for inventory control in Central Processing, including ordering supplies, and yearly inventory, (also additional inventories as needed, or requested).
3. Uses supplies economically
4. Assists with identification of worn or damaged equipment
1. Maintains current knowledge of professional techniques and practices.
2. Actively participates in unit meetings and educational programs.
3. Reviews MSDS book and all hospital/department policies and procedures.
4. Maintains regulatory requirements.
5. Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work in a timely fashion.
Age Specific Criteria:
Knowledge of age specific criteria in regards to instrumentation, equipment, etc.
Provides a positive and professional representation of the organization.
Promotes culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, reporting, documentation, and prevention.
Maintains hospital standards for a clean and quiet environment.
Maintains competency and knowledge of current standards of practice, trends, and developments in related scope of job role or practice.
Participates in ongoing quality improvement activities.
Maintains compliance with organization’s policies, as well as established practices, protocols, and procedures of the position, department, and applicable professional standards.
Complies with organizational and regulatory policies for handling confidential information.
Demonstrates excellent customer service through his/her attitude and actions, consistent with the standards contained in The Gritman Way.
May be required to sit and/or walk up to ten hours per day.
Work is of medium physical demand.
Vision and hearing compensated to a level to meet all essential functions of the job.
Requires planning and organizing own work to reach objectives.
Work is of high attention and mental demands, including the ability to prioritize and process accurately.
Able to lift up to 40 lbs.